Five minutes with….Leon Taylor
We asked Leon Taylor, member of the GB Paralympic Football team in Beijing 2008, his thoughts ahead of Rio 2016…..
- What are you favourite memories of competing for GB at a Paralympic Games? The opening ceremony in Beijing – walking out into the Bird’s nest stadium in front of 90,000 + spectators
- How do you think GB Football team will do at the Paralympics, what are their chances? I think that they are in with a real chance of winning a medal. Our group games will be tough playing against the hosts and then Ukraine ranked second in the world and concluding with a match against the Republic of Ireland, but if we can get positive results against them I’m confident of success in the latter stages of the competition. To my mind it is the strongest squad we have ever had
- What is the most memorable Paralympic sporting moment for you? Sarah Storey winning her 4th gold medal in the cycling at the London 2012 Games.
- What or who inspired you in your sporting career? My mum. She was the school captain for almost every sport and went on to play netball and tennis at County level.
- What are you most looking forward to about the Paralympics in Rio? Looking out for athletes I know competing and particularly watching the GB Cerebral Palsy football team!