The History of Harvey Hadden
In 1786 John Hadden settled in Nottingham from Aberdeen and established a family hosiery business with his brothers J.H Hadden & Co Ltd.
The business established itself as one of the leading hosiery manufactures in the world at the time and continued to operate well into the twentieth century, with several factories established in Nottingham, the first situated initially in Leengate, before a more modern factory was built in 1860 at Greyfriar Gate, supplying uniform and fabrics for RAF uniform and also suffered damage in both world wars. The Greyfriar Gate site remained open until it was demolished in 1957. Soon after WW2 a modern new factory was also built at Daleside Road in the city. J.H Hadden died in 1830 and was buried in St Nicholas Church in Nottingham
His son, Frederick John Hadden born 1818 was J.P. for the Borough of Nottingham and Captain in the 1st Battalion of the Robin Hood Rifle Volunteer Corps and continued to run the family business. On September 29th 1851 his wife Margaret Jane Harvey has a son, Harvey Hadden. Harvey later inherited the business, remaining in complete control until approximately 1904. Harvey Hadden visited Canada in 1891 and on several occasions thereafter, establishing investments in property and land and bequeathing monies in his will to the city of Vancouver and Hadden Park was established in his name on English Bay and is the home of the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
On his last visit to Nottingham on 18th and 19th April 1929 Harvey Hadden visited areas of interest to him in the locality and expressed his intention to do something for the benefit of Nottingham people, as he had done in Vancouver, with a preference for open spaces for young people. Harvey Hadden died aged 79 in February 1931 and in his will requested that his money should be used to establish playing fields, parks, gymnasium and other recreational facilities for the health and happiness of the people of both Vancouver and Nottingham.
Harvey Hadden Stadium was opened on 8th August,1959 by Sir Arthur Perritt, Chairman of the British Empire Games Federation.
New facilities were developed over the years including the addition of football pitches within the park and in the 1970s a covered stand was built to improve spectator comfort. The modern sports centre was added in 1990 to complement the outdoor facilities and opened in time to host the Volleyball Competition for the World Student Games.